New entry Dec 07
Critters is 23!
Yes, 23 years ago Critters was born. Wow! Thanks so much to all of you, who've made it such a resounding success!
Critters no longer accepting European Union members :(It's with a heavy heart that I have to announce Critters can no longer accept people in the European Union as members. This is a result of the "GDPR" privacy laws going into effect. I'm a big fan of privacy, and applaud the general idea behind the GDPR, but the way it's implemented forces me to close the door to EU writers. [read more why...]
Books from Critters!
Check out Books by Critters for books by your fellow Critterfolk, as well as my list of recommended books for writers.
How to Write SF
The Craft of Writing Science Fiction that Sells by Ben Bova, best-selling author and six-time Hugo Award winner for Best Editor. (This is one of the books your ol' Critter Captain learned from himself, and I highly recommend it.) (Also via Amazon)
New Book from a Critter Member**NOW IN PRINT EDITION TOO!** Awesome new book, HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR SPECULATIVE FICTION OPENINGS, from a Critter member whose unearthed a shard of The Secret to becoming a pro writer. Really good piece of work. "...if you're at all concerned about story openings, you'd be nuts not to read what Qualkinbush has to say." —Wil McCarthy, author of BLOOM and THE COLLAPSIUM
P&E Has a New Caretaker!
I'm very happy to announce that P&E has been handed off to a new caretaker! Check out the site for news and such. Hurrah!
I'm being interviewed live on public radio for Critters 20th birthday. For those who want to listen, it's on the 10am (Mountain time) show on Thursday, 11/19/16, on Colorado Public Radio - www.cpr.org has streaming on the site or it's 90.1 FM in the Denver area. [Interview is done, you can listen on the site]
Free Web Sites
Free web sites for authors (and others) are available at www.nyx.net.
ReAnimus Acquires Advent!
ReAnimus Press is pleased to announce the acquisition of the legendary Advent Publishers! Advent is now a subsidiary of ReAnimus Press, and we will continue to publish Advent's titles under the Advent name. Advent was founded in 1956 by Earl Kemp and others, and has published the likes of James Blish, Hal Clement, Robert Heinlein, Damon Knight, E.E. "Doc" Smith, and many others. Advent's high quality titles have won and been finalists for several Hugo Awards, such as The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction and Fantasy and Heinlein's Children. Watch this space for ebook and print editions of all of Advent's current titles!
Network speeding up
I'm switching the connection over to a new, shiny 10X faster network because of all the load. There might be bits of downtime as your boxes learn new addresses and things. Should be brief. Let me know of any prolonged outages you see.
Preditors & Editors Changeover
With the very sad passing of Dave Kuzminski, who ran P&E, I've taken over the P&E duties. Lots of what I hope are improvements; check it out at pred-ed.com.
is Dying has been Replaced
THE SIGIL TRILOGY: The universe is dying from within... "Great stuff... Really enjoyed it." — SFWA Grandmaster Michael Moorcock
Announcing ReAnimus Press
If you need help making ebooks from manuscripts or print copies—or finding great stuff to read—look no further! An ebook publisher started by your very own Critter Captain. (And with a 12% Affiliate program.) [More]
Critters Poll results
Critique.org now has Workshops for Everything — all genres, music, video, photography, art, apps.....
Convert your work to ebooks! Read great ebooks! The votemaster runs ReAnimus Press
See also the Best-Ever Voters Poll for the best works ever written (not just in the last year)
Short Stories pages: Horror | Romance | Science Fiction & Fantasy | Steampunk | Magical Realism | Positive Future | All other | Anthologies page | Poems page | Nonfiction articles page | Nonfiction books page |
Other Categories: Artwork page | Book/e-book Cover Artwork page | Magazine/e-zine Cover Artwork page | Authors page | Poets page | Artists page | Book/e-book Editors page | Magazine/e-zine Editors page | Book Publishers page | Review site | Bookstore | Promotional Firms, Sites, and Resources page | Fiction 'zines page | Poetry 'zines page | Nonfiction 'zines page | Writers' Discussion Forum page | Writers' Workshop page | Writers' Resource/Information/News Source page |
Admin: Current standings | Best EVER Poll | Report an Error | VOTE! ]
Standings for Science Fiction & Fantasy Novels
1. Dark Queen, Faith Hunter, ROC, [link][comments]
2. Trial of a Warrior, Mary Morgan, The Wild Rose Press, [link][comments]
3. Oath of a Warrior, Mary Morgan, The Wild Rose Press, [link]
4. Dragonfire: Halls of Ash and Marble (Full Moon Series Book 6), P. Mattern & M. Mattern, CHBB Publishing, [link][comments]
5. The Final Flashpoint, Iona Morrison, The Wild Rose Press, [link][comments]
6. Single White Incubus, EJ Russell, Riptide, [link]
6. Power's Curse, K.J. Taylor, Burning Willow Press, [link]
6. BOB, Tegon Maus, Tirgearr Publishing, [link][comments]
7. Gateway to Elvendom, Carol Browne, Burning Willow Press, [link]
8. Champion Standing, M.A. Gardner, Bards and Sages Publishing, [link][comments]
8. The Kiss That Killed Me, Kristy Nicolle, Kristy Nicolle, [link][comments]
8. Regeneration (Arcanian Chronicles, Part 2, Kan Ingan Archives, Book 8., Toni V. Sweeney, Class Act Books, [link][comments]
9. Crimson Fury, Mirren Hogan, Burning Willow Press, [link]
10. Ascension, JL Jackola, Indie Gypsy, [link]
10. Call of the Falconer, David W. Thompson, self, [link]
10. Love Conquers Demons, Trinity Blacio, Riverdale Ave Books, [link]
11. Witchy Winter, D. J. Butler, Baen Books, [link]
11. Intro Nostra, Brantwijn Serrah, Amazon, [link]
11. Rise of the Sataners, Josh Matthews, Burning Willow Press, [link]
11. When The Gods Fell, Richard Paolinelli, Tuscany Bay Books, [link]
11. Debriefing the Dead, Kerry Blaisdell, Wild Rose Press, [link]
11. Storm Glass, Jeff Wheeler, 47North, [link][comments]
12. Walking Through Fire , Sherri Cook Woosley, Talos Press, [link]
12. The Last Encore, D. Alan Lewis, Voodoo Rumors Media, [link]
12. Asclepious Stone, Jack McNally, Burning Willow Press, [link]
12. The Road to Neozon, Anna Tambour, Obsidian Sky Books, http:/[link]
12. Chronicles of Lumis, Various, Lunar Games Inc, [link]
12. Something Haunted, Sarah Dale, Burning Willow Press, [link]
12. Revenge of Krakenstein, Kevin Candela, Kent Hill Productions, [link]
12. Semiosis: A Novel, Sue Burke, Tor Books, [link]
12. Power Surge, S.L. Perrine, Burning Willow Press, [link]
12. Bringer of Chaos: Forged in Fire, Kayelle Allen, Romance Lives Forever Books, [link]
12. Unbreakable Mind, Bryan Tann & Kindra Sowder, Burning Willow Press, [link]
12. The Traitor God, Cameron Johnston, Angry Robot, [link]
12. The Exile of Elindel (The Elwardian Chronicles Book 1), Carol Browne, Burning Willow Press, [link]
12. Accross Primordial Landscapes, Robert Turtle, Smashwords, [link]
12. Chasing Graves, Ben Galley, Ben Galley, [link]
12. Skyburst, John B. Rosenman, MuseItUp Publishing, [link][comments]
12. Reset, Brian Andrews, Thomas & Mercer, [link][comments]
Looking for something to do?
And please check out our sponsors!—