New entry Jun 06
Books from Critters!
Check out Books by Critters for books by your fellow Critterfolk, as well as my list of recommended books for writers.
New Book from a Critter Member**NOW IN PRINT EDITION TOO!** Awesome new book, HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR SPECULATIVE FICTION OPENINGS, from a Critter member who's unearthed a shard of The Secret to becoming a pro writer. Really good piece of work. "...if you're at all concerned about story openings, you'd be nuts not to read what Qualkinbush has to say." —Wil McCarthy, author of BLOOM and THE COLLAPSIUM
How to Write SF
The Craft of Writing Science Fiction that Sells by Ben Bova, best-selling author and six-time Hugo Award winner for Best Editor. (This is one of the books your ol' Critter Captain learned from himself, and I highly recommend it.) (Also via Amazon)
I was interviewed live on public radio for Critters' birthday, for those who want to listen.
Free Web Sites
Free web sites for authors (and others) are available at www.nyx.net.
ReAnimus Acquires Advent!
ReAnimus Press is pleased to announce the acquisition of the legendary Advent Publishers! Advent is now a subsidiary of ReAnimus Press, and we will continue to publish Advent's titles under the Advent name. Advent was founded in 1956 by Earl Kemp and others, and has published the likes of James Blish, Hal Clement, Robert Heinlein, Damon Knight, E.E. "Doc" Smith, and many others. Advent's high quality titles have won and been finalists for several Hugo Awards, such as The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction and Fantasy and Heinlein's Children. Watch this space for ebook and print editions of all of Advent's current titles!
THE SIGIL TRILOGY: The universe is dying from within... "Great stuff... Really enjoyed it." — SFWA Grandmaster Michael Moorcock
Announcing ReAnimus Press
If you're looking for great stuff to read from bestselling and award-winning authors—look no further! ReAnimus Press was founded by your very own Critter Captain. (And with a 12% Affiliate program.) [More]
How to Load eBooks onto an eBook Reader
If you've just bought an ebook from the Critters store, thanks! Now you'll want to load it onto your reader.
This page has general approaches to try if your specific reader wasn't on the list. Here's are things to try:
- Download to your computer the .EPUB format of the ebook you purchased. Most reader except the Kindle work with .EPUBs, so this is a good start. If your reader doesn't do EPUBs or MOBIs, use the free Calibre program to convert one of those to the format you need.
- Calibre may also know how to talk to your device to load books onto it, so with Calibre running, try plugging in your reader via USB.
- It's also very possible that without needing Calibre you can connect your reader to your computer using via USB. Many will connect to your computer like any USB / flash drive. Then hunt around in the folders on the device to see where it looks like ebooks live. Then drag and drop the book file into that folder, disconnect the reader, and see if it finds the new book.
- Another free program that often knows how to directly add ebooks to readers is Adobe Digital Editions.
If none of those work, try googling on something like "loading ebooks onto [name of your device]". It's almost certainly possible and usually simple.
(If you're looking for something else to do, a quick plug for the Critter Captain's other projects that might interest you:
ReAnimus.com — The Critter
Captain's project to help authors.
ReAnimus Press publishes great books from
bestselling and award-winning authors like Ben Bova, Robert
Silverberg, and many others. All genres, with lots of SF and
books on writing.
(We can also help you with making and selling ebooks and print
editions of your work. We can do the whole thing, or just
Check out the Critters Store for all
kinds of cool stuff for writers and readers.
- I've written some ebooks you might enjoy, such as:
Black Holes response time tracker
- Hate nuisance fees?
Say No to the Feeconomy. (Warning, humorous fees may apply.)
- Before you get a loan or refinance, make sure you're making
the most cost-effective decision for your unique situation.
as the "ultimate"
loan scenario comparison tool. (Not selling anything, just
a free tool.)
- Curing Bad Customer Service -- Just a Dollar a Minute https://critique.org/bcs.ht