New entry Sep 16
Critters is almost 25!
In November, Critters will be 25 years old! Wow! Thanks so much to all of you, who've made it such a resounding success!
Books from Critters!
Check out Books by Critters for books by your fellow Critterfolk, as well as my list of recommended books for writers.
Stayin' AliveIf you want to make a career of SF writing, STAYING ALIVE - A WRITER'S GUIDE by three-time SFWA President Norman Spinrad, published by your Critter Captain's ReAnimus Press, is an indispensable guide to the inside workings of the SF publishing industry by an expert.
How to Write SF
The Craft of Writing Science Fiction that Sells by Ben Bova, best-selling author and six-time Hugo Award winner for Best Editor. (This is one of the books your ol' Critter Captain learned from himself, and I highly recommend it.) (Also via Amazon)
I was interviewed live on public radio for Critters' birthday, for those who want to listen.
Free Web Sites
Free web sites for authors (and others) are available at www.nyx.net.
ReAnimus Acquires Advent!
ReAnimus Press is pleased to announce the acquisition of the legendary Advent Publishers! Advent is now a subsidiary of ReAnimus Press, and we will continue to publish Advent's titles under the Advent name. Advent was founded in 1956 by Earl Kemp and others, and has published the likes of James Blish, Hal Clement, Robert Heinlein, Damon Knight, E.E. "Doc" Smith, and many others. Advent's high quality titles have won and been finalists for several Hugo Awards, such as The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction and Fantasy and Heinlein's Children. Watch this space for ebook and print editions of all of Advent's current titles!
THE SIGIL TRILOGY: The universe is dying from within... "Great stuff... Really enjoyed it." — SFWA Grandmaster Michael Moorcock
Announcing ReAnimus Press
If you're looking for great stuff to read from bestselling and award-winning authors—look no further! ReAnimus Press was founded by your very own Critter Captain. (And with a 12% Affiliate program.) [More]
Where to submit and how long you'll end up waiting...
Be sure to note how up-to-date any given list is — conditions change rapidly (markets die, etc.).
- SFWA's response time tracker -- a list of recent response times for various markets, nice things about editors, a list of when printed issues of various markets were seen (run by Aburt)
- Mike Engen's SF&F StoryPilot Market Engine
- Ralan's Webstravaganza — excellent market list by a Critter amici
- Gila Queen's Guide to Markets — and yet another marketwatching zine
- Eugie Foster's page with info for both SF and children's markets
- Duotrope's Digest market list
- Bonnie Mercure's Market List — a list of links to markets with home pages
- Mary Soon Lee's Market List — a list of links to markets with home pages
- The Market List — yet another list of active markets.
- Spicy Green Iguana — Market listings, links to SF&F 'zines
- e-zine-list: Alphabetic Listing
- Yahoo's SF magazine list
- Write Market Webzine Christopher Reynaga's guidelines list, reviews, etc.
- SFWA's magazine links